Friday 18 June 2010

Hokitika - Franz Josef

03.02.2010


Another cyclist told me about a possibility to shorten the distance a bit on the way to Franz Josef... Sounds great to shorten a distance of round 130kms to Franz of course ;) In the end I have to say that I'm not completely sure if he really meant the way I took, but it brought me to Ross and it was indeed some km shorter then the distance on the road around. But it definitely was more exhausting then just to stick to the normal road!! :) Anyway it was a nice little “side adventure”

don't know how long this sign is already standing there...


...but it doesn't look like they are really trying to build or repair something here ;)


really lot's of those old wood bridges around here and I am constantly wondering when the one is coming that is simply too old and damaged to actually make a save way over it... but as I don't want to turn round and go back all the way, I just keep going and see how far I can get ;)




the view to the left...


...and the view to the right... not much of a difference
The was the last bridge before getting back on the road in Ross. Or at least their remains... Had to make the decision, wether to go around here (and waste the saved kms) or just stay on the straight line I was on for the last kms already... Didn't take too long to figure that out :) Was just a bit complicated to climb down the 5m or so on the way back - to get my bike bottle back, that had dropped down in the river - and then up again to get the backpack ;)

I wonder if my tripod is still lying there on the other side *damn* realized that of course few days later



after 136kms I was sooooo happy to finally arrive in Franz Jo in the hostel. The last kms and few hills were really hard and uncomfortable ones! ;)



No comments: